The Council for Unions and Student Programs has identified the following learning outcomes for the Student Voice Academy:
- Gain an understanding of 2019-2020 community college issues from representatives across groups (State Board for Community and Technical Colleges, Washington State Student Services Commission, Trustees, Instructional Commission).
- Learn how to caucus on issues of importance to their respective college constituencies and advocate for said positions.
- Develop an understanding of critical legislative issues that have a broad impact for multiple college students.
- Learn how to effectively communicate legislative priorities in written form and in presentations to various groups and gain buy-in on collective issues.
- Network with fellow student leaders to share critical issues affecting student constituencies and how to gain support on a statewide and system level.
The Community and Technical College system will:
- Benefit by having a list of critical issues to discern from when packaging the system 2020-2021 legislative platform.
- Learn about and understand student issues and utilize student advocacy to impact legislatively said issues on the system behalf.
- Garner information that may inform State Board for Community and Technical Colleges, Washington State Student Services Commission, Trustees, Instructional Commission representatives and individuals that serve on individual college legislative task forces to shape platforms from a student-centered